Job Title: Veterinary Assistant
Location: Thousand Palms, CA
Salary Range: $11 – $15 DOE
Full Time or Part Time: Full-time or Part-time
Animal Samaritans, an animal welfare organization committed to improving the lives of animals and people, is looking for a dedicated Veterinary Assistant to join our staff.
Job Summary: Under the general direction of our Clinical Supervisor as well as working alongside and under the direction of a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine the Veterinary Assistant performs veterinary tasks along with client service functions.
Veterinary Assistant Job Responsibilities:
- Surgery check-ins: Perform a brief examination of external body, ask pertinent medical questions regarding medical history.
- Create a surgical template; Record all exam and surgical information in template. (Drugs administration and surgery times).
- Assess in-take form; compare against surgical template entered; make revisions as authorized and needed.
- Take vital signs of animal including temperature, pulse and respiration.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all surgery staff.
- Make necessary additions to the patient record as is necessary and conveyed by the surgery staff.
- Enter any additional charges/ notes that may have accrued during the surgery period. (pregnancy, in-heat and medication prescribed etc.)
- Convey additional charges information; record in the patient pop-up window.
- Keep accurate account of inventory in surgery prep room (syringes, needles e-collars etc.) Provide a summary of all items in need of order to floor supervisor.
- Maintain and sterilize surgical instruments and packs.
- Maintain and utilization surgical equipment.
- Surgery rechecks with attending veterinarian.
- Administers and prepare vaccines according to our vaccine protocol.
- Monitor pets under anesthesia.
- Assist veterinarian in medical procedures using proper restraint.
- Assist veterinarian in medical procedures using proper aseptic technique.
- Assist surgery veterinarian in exam rooms.
- Prepares patient medications (two staff members must sign and check off all medication)
- Complete ear cleaning and nail trims.
- Maintain and use medical equipment such and autoclave etc.
- Monitors animal’s vital signs before and after surgery.
- Maintain pharmacy records, and controlled drug, anesthesia, fecal and heartworm test logs.
- Clean work areas
- Follow doctors protocol at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned including covering front desk and working in scheduling department.
- Education and Experience:
- High school diploma required
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Physical Requirements:
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.Key Competencies:
- Must be friendly, outgoing, “people oriented.”
- Must be capable of being cross-trained
- Must be responsible for clocking in/out
- Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and treatments and accept change.
- Ensure that client and pets feel welcome and comfortable
- Practice professional customer service by treating the client with courtesy and respect at all times.
- Serve as “Ambassadors” for creating and maintaining goodwill for the company.
- Build rapport with clients and pets.
- Immediately greet clients and their pets by name making eye contact with clients while speaking to them.
- If there is a delay, keep clients informed of expected waiting time.
- Ability to effectively communicate and educate clients and answer non-medical questions.
- Professional appearance required, scrubs are to be worn at all times and are furnished by the employee.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Avoid gossip and treat co-workers with courtesy and respect at all times.
Animal Samaritan offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental and Visions options
- Retirement Plan – Simple IRA with discretionary match
- Paid time off including; holidays, vacation, sick and personal days
- Discount on veterinary services
- Employee recognition awards
How to Apply:
Interested candidates please contact Bill Rielly, Human Resources Specialist, 760-601-3758. Email CV / Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.