why support us
what we do
board of directors
Job Title: Veterinary Assistant
Location: Thousand Palms, CA
Salary Range: $11 – $15 DOE
Full Time or Part Time: Full-time or Part-time
Animal Samaritans, an animal welfare organization committed to improving the lives of animals and people, is looking for a dedicated Veterinary Assistant to join our staff.
Job Summary: Under the general direction of our Clinical Supervisor as well as working alongside and under the direction of a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine the Veterinary Assistant performs veterinary tasks along with client service functions.
Veterinary Assistant Job Responsibilities:
- Surgery check-ins: Perform a brief examination of external body, ask pertinent medical questions regarding medical history.
- Create a surgical template; Record all exam and surgical information in template. (Drugs administration and surgery times).
- Assess in-take form; compare against surgical template entered; make revisions as authorized and needed.
- Take vital signs of animal including temperature, pulse and respiration.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all surgery staff.
- Make necessary additions to the patient record as is necessary and conveyed by the surgery staff.
- Enter any additional charges/ notes that may have accrued during the surgery period. (pregnancy, in-heat and medication prescribed etc.)
- Convey additional charges information; record in the patient pop-up window.
- Keep accurate account of inventory in surgery prep room (syringes, needles e-collars etc.) Provide a summary of all items in need of order to floor supervisor.
- Maintain and sterilize surgical instruments and packs.
- Maintain and utilization surgical equipment.
- Surgery rechecks with attending veterinarian.
- Administers and prepare vaccines according to our vaccine protocol.
- Monitor pets under anesthesia.
- Assist veterinarian in medical procedures using proper restraint.
- Assist veterinarian in medical procedures using proper aseptic technique.
- Assist surgery veterinarian in exam rooms.
- Prepares patient medications (two staff members must sign and check off all medication)
- Complete ear cleaning and nail trims.
- Maintain and use medical equipment such and autoclave etc.
- Monitors animal’s vital signs before and after surgery.
- Maintain pharmacy records, and controlled drug, anesthesia, fecal and heartworm test logs.
- Clean work areas
- Follow doctors protocol at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned including covering front desk and working in scheduling department.
- Education and Experience:
- High school diploma required
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Physical Requirements:
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
- Must be friendly, outgoing, “people oriented.”
- Must be capable of being cross-trained
- Must be responsible for clocking in/out
- Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and treatments and accept change.
- Ensure that client and pets feel welcome and comfortable
- Practice professional customer service by treating the client with courtesy and respect at all times.
- Serve as “Ambassadors” for creating and maintaining goodwill for the company.
- Build rapport with clients and pets.
- Immediately greet clients and their pets by name making eye contact with clients while speaking to them.
- If there is a delay, keep clients informed of expected waiting time.
- Ability to effectively communicate and educate clients and answer non-medical questions.
- Professional appearance required, scrubs are to be worn at all times and are furnished by the employee.
- Ensure compliance with all company policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Avoid gossip and treat co-workers with courtesy and respect at all times.
Animal Samaritan offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental and Visions options
- Retirement Plan – Simple IRA with discretionary match
- Paid time off including; holidays, vacation, sick and personal days
- Discount on veterinary services
- Employee recognition awards
How to Apply:
Interested candidates please contact Bill Rielly, Human Resources Specialist, 760-601-3758. Email CV / Resume to: email@example.com
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Make a Donation Today
We know you have many choices when it comes to how to invest your philanthropic dollars, and Animal Samaritans takes seriously the stewardship of your investment in us.
The Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau recommends that nonprofits not spend more than 35 cents on the dollar of its budget on administration and fundraising.
At Animal Samaritans that number is, year over year, close to 10 cents on the dollar. That means the other 90 cents goes to our mission and our services.
That’s just one of the reasons that Animal Samaritans, for more than 4 decades, has been among Southern California’s most trusted animal welfare organizations.
pets. not profits
At our state-of-the-art veterinary clinics, we’re there to provide your animals with the highest quality care, not to make a profit.
Because of your support, we are expanding this mission to broader and more diverse communities.
12,000 Animals saved!
Our Adoption Alliance Rescue Program has saved the lives of more than 12,000 animals. And we’re just getting started. We work with the local shelters to place animals they do not have the resources or staff to handle. Thanks to donations like yours, we do!
42150 B Jackson Street Ste 106
72307 Ramon Rd
Thousand Palms, CA